Dec 3rd, 2012 by Jennifer Lynn
Enter below to win $100.00 Cash through Paypal or Amazon gift card (winner’s choice) !!
Hello everyone, did you have a productive weekend? I am excited to announce our latest giveaway for this broke-ass Monday. With ever-increasing food prices haunting us, the theme of this giveaway will be dealing with the relevant financial issue of how to save money on grocery shopping.
Cool the beans there, Homer.
Here are a few ways that my family attempts to cope with inflationary food prices:
- Always try to buy in season. We enjoy frequenting the farmers market and community co-op to purchase local produce and fruit in season. This saves us a tremendous amount of money since we establish personal relationships with local farmers. Certain farmers recognize us each week and provide us with some awesomely killer deals!
- Invest in quality foods that are nutrient-dense. Purchase organics whenever possible. This may seem like a more expensive option but in fact may be saving butt loads of money on a slew of health problems and medical bills in the long term. Your cells replenish at an alarming rate so give your cells the necessary fuel they need to help renew your organs and body in the healthiest possible manner. (Remember the old adage, you are what you eat?)
- Consider coupons, sales and any other discounts offered. Also consider investing in your community in the process. Our community co-op is three blocks from our apartment and offers attractive discounts to members (those who pay a flat annual fee to own shares, or a slice, of the business). Being a co-op member not only gives me deeper daily discounts on every product when I shop, but I also receive a dividend check based on the overall profits of the co-op at the end of the year. Also I actively can engage in my community and have a say on the co-op’s offered foods/merchandise and be familiar with their sources. Hecka cool!
- Forego big name brands for generic if quality is similar. If the taste, quality and ingredient list are the same, don’t be fooled by big fancy marketing schemes by paying out the caboose for a fancy-schmancy ‘designer’ label. Consider generic options whenever possible.
And, the number one tip for saving money on your bulging grocery shopping bill:
- Plant your own garden! My family always is amazed at the quantity of food a very simple garden can produce. Consider growing some of your own basic staples: tomatoes, peppers, onion, beans, herbs, etc. The rewards from growing your own food by nurturing your garden and watching it flourish are enormous. Cool beans, right?
Sooo to celebrate this concept of saving where it matters to rescue your wilting wallet, Broke-Ass Mommy is teaming with other personal finance blogs to help sponsor the ‘Save Money on Groceries’ giveaway, with a prize of $100 Cash through Paypal or Amazon gift card (winner’s choice).
Here is how you may enter for your chance to win:
Did you enjoy this giveaway from Broke-Ass Mommy? Be awesome and vote for it by clicking below.
(This contest has been submitted to Sweepstakes.)